Following the success of their debut single/video ‘Just Friends’ last Autumn, Rimini punks SMALLTOWN TIGERS at last unveil their debut mini-album Five Things through happening garage-punk label Area Pirata Records. Here’s five things you need to know…
1. Hailing from Romagna, North/East of Italy, SMALLTOWN TIGERS cut their teeth playing Ramones songs at squats and beach parties, spreading their love for surfboards and punk rock antics. In 2019, Valli (bass, vocals) and Monty (guitar, vocals) went into the all-analogue L’AmorMioNonMuore studio in Forli with cult producer Stiv Cantarelli from blues-punk outcasts SC and The Silent Stranger to start laying down the basics of what it later became their first originals.
2. Back on the road, the trio earned their stripes sharing the stage with Seattle underground gods Steal Shit Do Drugs, good enough to scoop the support slot for NYC powerpop aces Baby Shakes on their Italian dates. Before a round of summer gigs with Italian proto punk godfathers Not Moving LTD and other crash-and-burn gigs on the scene, new drummer Castel came on board to turn Smalltown Tigers into one exciting rock’n’roll act.
3. The girls are already being talked up on the Euro garage-punk scene after their debut UK tour in London in October 2019, which saw them playing such legendary venues as The Hope & Anchor and Dalston’s Shacklewell Arms, with fast-rising bands like The Speedways and The Menstrual Cramps and anarcho-punk legends Hagar The Womb, while the ‘Just Friends’ video received its world premiere from the UK’s No.1 punk mag Vive Le Rock!
4. The 8-song Five Things is a powerful mix of punk rock roots and glam attitude. If you shake ’76 Ramones and 78’ B52’s and pour them in Joan Jett’s rock’n’roll glass before she was sucked up by the limelight, then you’ll have a taste of how this record could sound. Recorded live in studio (apart from the vocals) with no overdubs and mixed by analogue master Roberto Villa on 2” tape, and mastered by Detroit garage-punk guru Jim Diamond, these eight songs testify that these girls are no Dolce Vita.
5. Now the cat’s out of the bag and Smalltown Tigers are on the prowl. They’re coming to a town near new. But watch out, these cats have teeth!
A4-Find Myself Another Name
B1-Darling Please !
B2-I Want It Now